Sunday, August 19, 2012

August 19th


This may be a bit longer than my usual updates, because I have a lot to say this week, and a lot to brag about.

I had a pretty great week - emotionally, and health-wise. I was dreading coming back to work after my vacation, but it turned out I actually missed my coworkers and the routine of going to work. Don't get me wrong, I'd take vacation ANY day, but I was starting to feel anxious and unproductive.

I did well every single day this week. I did go over my calories a couple times, but only by 100-200 or so, and I allow myself to do that when I'm legitimately hungry, particularly if I've worked out that day. I'd like to stop eating after a certain time at night, and I'd like to also eat more during the day. I know that optimally breakfast should be the biggest meal, followed by lunch and then dinner, but I've always done the exact opposite. I've always wanted to change this, but I've never really liked eating a bigger breakfast and a smaller dinner, so ... who knows if I'll really make a legitimate effort to change that. I just probably shouldn't be eating the majority of my daily calories in the 2nd half of the day.

I did skip one workout - a 43-minute circuit training workout - and so I only reached my bare minimum of 175 minutes for the week. I am completely forgiving myself for that, though, and here's why...

I had a major blast of willpower this weekend. Friday was the day I was scheduled to do my circuit training workout. It was also the day that I knew I'd be going out to a bar with my coworkers after work. I planned to stay at the bar for a couple hours, since I knew due to my 21-day challenge that I shouldn't drink, and every time I go there I end up indulging in greasy bar food. So to plan ahead, knowing I'd be hungry, I packed some raw vegetables, and ate them with some coffee and water before I headed out of work.  Well, the two hours I planned on staying ended up being six hours. And I am very proud to say that with the exception of one, single, lone delicious French fry and a couple sips of drinks that people wanted me to try, I stuck to water - nothing else. I felt a little odd because I really didn't want to go into the reason WHY I wasn't eating or drinking anything, because I don't like to broadcast my weight loss plans, but they finally gave up trying to get me to order a drink eventually and I had a total blast. I had a ton of fun and didn't need to worry about driving or finding a way home, and I had the option of being a DD for anyone who needed it (which I almost did, but they ended up going to another bar.)

I got home around 11 at night and I ate the dinner I'd planned - a really delicious turkey burger - and went to bed. The best part, I woke up without any guilt, and without any semblance of a hangover. I did skip my workout, since it was late when I got home, but I don't mind. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be - I usually have fairly good willpower, and I'm fine with declining sweets and other stuff, but when I don't have anything else to eat, and everyone around me is drinking, it's hard to keep from partaking.

Then, Saturday came around. A few years ago, we lost a good friend of mine, and Saturday would've been her birthday. A few of us get together each year to hang out and spend some time together. Two of my friends and I went out to a bar. I planned ahead and ate a pretty big dinner beforehand. And again, I had a ton of fun, and was DD for the two friends I was with. It was a bit easier this time as we didn't go out until much later and I'd already eaten dinner, and I had the good excuse of being the driver to not partake. It was still difficult, though, as I am always sad on her birthday, and it was definitely tempting.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like a lot, but these kind of events are the places where I tend to lose my fairly decent willpower, I've given in every other time.

I've been rewarded for my efforts this week. Today, I am 2.4 pounds lighter than I was last week. Yesterday I hit my lowest weight again - I'd reached it a couple weeks ago but gained some back. I'm .4 lbs heavier today than I was yesterday, but I am SO CLOSE to reaching my 35 lbs lost mark.

As I mentioned, emotionally I've been a lot better this week. I am really hoping that my medication is working. Every few weeks I just have a really good week for whatever reason, and this time, I'm hoping it's related. It's supposed to take 4-6 weeks to work, and I just finished 4 weeks on it. I have an appointment with my doctor in a couple weeks to discuss it. I haven't had any problems with it like I did the first couple weeks, so that's good too.

I did a killer workout today that my legs are still jiggly from. 3.6 mile walk/jog. I haven't done it in a long time but I've kept my (little) endurance. The route I do is just so HILLY! There are only a couple blocks that are flat, and depending on how I'm feeling, I either walk/jog them. I jog on all the downhills and walk on the uphills. According to my heart rate monitor, I burned over 600 calories doing that today!

Here's my menu/workout plan for this week.


SUNDAY
Baked Crisp Chicken Burritos
Walk/jog, 53 minutes

MONDAY
Leftovers
Rest day

TUESDAY
Feta-basil turkey burgers
Spark Cardio Blast, 35 minutes

WEDNESDAY
Spinach, mushroom, and ricotta stuffed shells
Rest day

THURSDAY
Leftovers
Cardio Kickbox, 25 minutes

FRIDAY
Spicy baked falafel
Frontisde circuit training, 43 minutes

SATURDAY
decide next week
Backside circuit training, 53 minutes




No comments:

Post a Comment